FUN FIRSTS FOR AN ARMY WIFE
1. the first time you look at someone's lapel and address him with the correct rank
2. the first time you see a full bird on a lapel
3. the first time you see an Airman and have no idea how to address him
4. the first time you see a Marine and wonder what in the heck is wrong with his blurry camoflauge
5. the first time you correctly call it a weapon instead of a gun
6. the first time you correctly call it a post instead of a base
7. the first time you use military terminology that makes your husband say, "Where did you learn that?"
8. the first time you realize that your friends from back home have no idea what you're talking about
9. the first time you get a hooah when you're teaching grammar
10. and the pinnacle: the first time you explain to a soldier the difference between his AARTS and his ATAARS
Anyone got any other good firsts?
Carla reminded me of one. How about
11. the first time you spell something out in the military alphabet without stumbling
Posted by: Sarah at
| Comments (8)
| Add Comment
Post contains 201 words, total size 1 kb.
The first time I came across you blog. I really like it.
Posted by: sTEVE at August 19, 2004 09:13 AM (8HxzN)
I'd ask my sister who's a military wife, but she probably doesn't count as she's also ex-military.
I think your list should pertain to civilians as well.
Posted by: John at August 19, 2004 09:19 AM (+Ysxp)
It could also apply to journalists. I heard one on NPR yesterday refer to CH-47 Chinook helicopters as "Chinook 47s". Close.
Posted by: Mike at August 19, 2004 12:44 PM (MqNKC)
Hahaha to #4...
Well, along the lines of #10: the first time he uses a bunch of acronyms in a sentence and you don't have to stop to ask him what they mean.
The first time someone asks you his MOS and you can confidently state the number.
The first time you remember exactly which uniforms are Alphas, Bravos, Charlies, Deltas.
Posted by: Carla at August 19, 2004 12:56 PM (r5M6F)
Hearing taps played at 2300 for the first time. Brought tears to my eyes.
Posted by: Ashley at August 19, 2004 01:42 PM (ZfIIU)
The first time you say 19:30 instead of 7:30 without even thinking about it...and your husband says, "good job on your army time honey". This just happened to me about five minutes ago!!
Posted by: Erin at August 19, 2004 02:32 PM (wvUNc)
Just found your blog, by way of Michelle Malkins site, (it was a round about "by way of"). I enjoyed looking around.
God bless you and your dear husband. Keep your spirits up and know that there are many, many people who appreciate not only what your husband does but also the strength it takes to wait.
Posted by: Pamela at August 19, 2004 03:43 PM (w8c17)
I'm neither military nor a wife, but military time and alphabet are very useful to me, and I use them all the time. That Peace Dividend ain't just cool technology!
Posted by: Dominic at August 20, 2004 10:32 AM (7jp9w)
| Add Comment
45kb generated in CPU 0.13, elapsed 0.4814 seconds.
49 queries taking 0.4025 seconds, 205 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.